January 21, 2007

Dealing with other Cultures!

What should we do when we are confronted with other cultures?


Having a set or different belief sometimes creates a barrier between the type of resources, media, and people we encounter. When confronting with different opinions or cultures, there is a part of us that become defensive. Say that someone mocks your religion; what do you think your immediate reaction will be like? Would you want to argue back and defend his opinionated statement? It's important to remember, as a person, that our words or attitude can hurt someone.



Story 1.

The first day of school is always hard. However, it's even more difficult when the environment and the culture has entirely changed from the place you have been customized to for such a long time.

Yes, it was hard to spend at least half of the day NOT at home but at school; however, it was even MORE hardening without the same language and perceptions.

I went through this change in my first year of elementary. I flew all the way from South Korea to Pennsylvania, United States. Soon as I got off the plane, I coudln't imagine what I was seeing. Americau was a giant place for me, and maybe that's because I was 35 cm shorter than right now, but still, I couldn't believe it. My house seemed like a castle compared to the apartment I've been living in for three years in Korea. And also, to get from places to places, the only transportation was by car.

School started. Since the percentage of Asians were less than 5%, I was overwhelmed by the thought that I would be a loner. As soon as I entered in the class, all of these girls and boys glanced over at me. Not only did I fear the fact that it was the first day of school, but also I feared that I was the only Asian girl in the class. I wanted to collapse, but I noticed four girls runnig over to greet me. The smiles on their faces were unforgettable, and I felt a sense of relief.

I made friends quickly, and I learned english quicker than anybody else in the classroom. After a few weeks, I didn't feel like I was Asian. Everyone treated me equally, and therefore, I was unaware of what was about to strike me. While I was playing with mye best friend, her sister came up to me. Soon as I looked at her glaring eyes, she turned around and said, "I don't like Koreans, so don't play with her." These words thundered in my head, and I felt betrayed. I tried my best to adjust with my classmates, and they gladly accepted me, but here, I was rejected - rejection is always unpleasant. Nobody wants to be rejected.

As a first grader, it was a shock to hear those words. Rather than fleeing from the situation or crying, I held tight to my anger and confusion. It was my first time encountering a cultural difference.



This leads to the question...

What should I do when I face a different culture?

Should I discredit them for racial factors?

Or is there other ways to confront them?




When we are confronted with a different culture, despite its peculiarity and disagreements, we should be able to respect it. Nobody has the same characteristics, background, and standard; therefore, it's the best to be humble and polite. Aknowleding the differences and values leads to gaining trust. Don Richardson set a perfect example. If he had been belligerant and rude to the Sawi men, he could have gotten his own head chopped off by the cruel nature of those men. However, Richardson's integrity and understanding helped his approach to the Sawi men from an entirely different aspect. Therefore, the Sawi men began to open their hearts to Don Richardson; this could have happened only because Richardson valued the uncommon culture of Sawi men, where treachery was prized. Jesus says in the bible to even love your enemies; loving someone who hates you is not easy. No matter how uncomfortable or unappealing someone's culture might be, you should not judge them negatively. Staying objective is good when conciliating to other cultures, because it will create less conflict.


1 comment:

African Globe Trotters. said...

Grace, how very painful for you to have experienced prejudice so early in life. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying your company. I can see that your answer rings true with the voice of experience and wisdom. Mrs.Mc.