January 23, 2007

Significance of 'this' PASSAGE


Context ... pg. 181
The theory had seemed logical, watertight - yet somewhere in prehistory the ancestors of the Sawi had accomplished what the theory said could not be done. They had found a way to prove sincerity and establish peace even in the dread context of tuwi asonai man and the waness bind! Among the Sawi, every demonstration of friendship was suspect except one. If a man would actually give his own son to his enemies, that man could be trusted! That, and that alone, was a proof of goodwill no shadow of cynicism could discredit.
And everyone who laid his hand on the given son was bound not to work violence against those who gave him, nor to employ the waness bind for their destruction. The little bell clanged again, and this time it caught my attention. I perceived its message and gasped!
This was the key we had been praying for!



'Ring Ring' I also heard the little bell clang in my head.

This passage seemed so realistic to me. Every word of this passage struck my soul like the sound of a drum beating. 'Boom Boom' I know I can't be 100% sure, but I think if I were in Don Richardson's shoes, I would have felt extreme delight in finding the key to all his questions and despairs. There was a sudden flashback in all of the things that had happened throughout the story - especially the scene where Yae was betrayed and slaughtered. The irony that lies within the story is the the concept of PEACE Child that was structured by this viscious people. It is stated that "Peace, however, requires assuarance of sincere good will on both sides." The willingness to give up a child for a problem that is not even personal is extremely difficult. I would never want to give up my child for someone else. Therefore, the idea that peace depends upson the continuing of the peace child involved proved to me that there are still some good will in the hearts of these brutal men.

4 comments:

horno xxx aka rick james said...

Yeah. It is very weird because things like peace or war needs both sides to "do something". But that seems more awkward since God gave us His Son without us. I guess God knows that we would not need to provide anything else except to believe in His Son.

hyangsoo, said...

haha :) first comment kkk
Well, I agree with you that this is one of the most important passages in the novel because it finally gives a solution to all of Don Richardson's problems about how he should connect to the Sawi. It seems almost too coincidental that Peace Child is so similar to how God sacrificed his own son, to be honest, at first, I doubted whether it was true. But I guess God works in mysterious ways :)!

Anonymous said...

i agree with you, Grace- and Rick James that here on earth, people give each other conditional love. Most of the times, we tend to stop liking or caring for someone if they do not give us any feedback. It sometimes seems wrong to care for someone who doesn't do the same for us. But God on the other hand, gives us unconditional love and that's why people like to rely on him. We may get distant with God sometimes, but he is always there for us. He is there, so we can always go back to him. It's amazing how he can give away his most precious son to die for our sins...I love God.

African Globe Trotters. said...

The miracle that takes place among the Sawi is evident of God. He has left his finger print in indelible ink on the lives of this unique people. Mrs.Mc.