January 23, 2007

Fascination



What concepts in the Sawi culture intregued you?



The concept of "Tuwi asonai makaerin! We have been fattening you with friendship for the slaughter!" intrigued my thoughts and my soul. The reason this concept drew my thoughts was because of its literal context and sceneray. Imganing the men, including women and children, celebrate the murder of a human scares me to death. Keeping the skull for a prized trophy seems to be a hazardous idea. This concept gives me the picture of heartless men, blood-thirsty for each other, and ravenous for human meat. This idea is controversial to our society - it is out of the norm because we have laws that abide murdering.

However, ultimately, the value of my answers lies within the fact that the Sawi culture intrigued my soul. You're probably wondering what I mean by 'intrigued soul' ... If I am to rephrase this, I am basically saying that it had a strong connections with our modern lives. If we were to look at this perspective from a broader sense, I bet everyone has fattened their friends for sacrifice. Not physically , but spiritually. Manipulating friends for YOUR own benefit is one way of "Tuwi asonai makaerin" in our society. Although this sacrifice may have nothing in relation with blood or gunshots, it does affect the feelings and emotion of a person - not only manipulating, but betrayal and disdain can be both a concept of fattening with frienship in our modern day lives. God applied that hating someone is the same thing as murdering them, and so imagine the how much stronger this concept is to God. From this idea I learned that even though the Sawi and our society have drastic differences based on lifestyle and beliefs, there still can be a profound connection when looking at it from a broader sense. This leads to the theme where all men, no matter what race, gender, age, etc., have a sinful nature.

2 comments:

Sean said...

I agree with what you said about the concept of "fattening for friendship" existing within our society today. I find that we ofte n take advantage of our frienships for our own desires. The fact that you can take something so "out of this world" and actually relate it to our society really reinforces the truth that all humans are alike. Anyway, nice post =D

African Globe Trotters. said...

Yes, we do take our friends for granted and Grace you really have brought this concept under scrutiny - a job well done. Mrs.Mc.