January 18, 2007

FAITH


How do I relate to faith?


The meaning of 'faith' varies for everybody. For instance, the way I have faith in God can be extremely different from the way my friend have faith in God. I think in order to have faith, it takes courage and trust. Faith is like believing in the unseen and trusting the untouchable. If there is a pencil in front of me, and I can see it, that is not considered faith; however, it is considered a fact. Faith requires more than seeing, touching, and tasting. It is having the heart to accept and allow something that one cannot see become something 'true' to oneself. In fact, faith asks for feelings and motivation (act) - things that are more from a person's heart, not from the five sense of human. "We live by faith, not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7 In order to have faith, the heart needs to be hard like a rock but also soft like a feather. The reason faith insists on stubborness and hardness is because it can easily be manipulated or conquered by other people's thoughts and the worldly things that surround us. Faith is a target and therefore it's important to be be aware of the things that we maybe vulnerable to. However, in contrast, faith also needs to be soft like a feather because it deals with the heart of an individual. In order to be an open-minded and genuine person, one musn't be so hardcore. Faith is something that can be shared with others, so therefore, it needs a tender part to it.
So now, how do 'I' relate to 'my' faith?
Well, it's quite simple. I am a Christian, and though I know that I can't be 100% perfect, through faith I am able to live up to my fullest. I think because of my faith in God, I am able to withstand adversities and lonely nights. About a year ago, I discussed a topic about faith with a college student - he's like my mentor. I was struggling through a lot of things, such as relationships and my walk with Christ. He used many similes to describe faith. One of them, for instance, was a tree. In order to bear many fruits, we must build a strong foundation in faith. He said there will be times when the tree may wither because of a drought or lose its leaves because of the seasonal change; however, if the root is strong, it will grow again when water and nutrition is abundant. I guess this is the closest way in which I relate to faith. Faith is a matter of belief not the degree of belief. Some people simply think that faith refers to a religion This is true in some ways, but faith is more than just being a Christian, Buddhist, OR even an atheist. I believe faith is a belief that comes from deep within the soul of our hearts - believing in something that cannot be seen, listening to something from a total blank space - all of these are hard task, but that's why it is so amazing. Faith, for me, is an essential portion of my life.
He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20
As I have said, it's not the degree of faith (big or little) that matters to God, but having a truthful faith is what God considers and looks after. A person may look beautifully gorgeous on the outside, but can have a terrible personality. It's the same for faith. A person can try to show the world that he has a STRONG faith in God by going to every Church activities; however, if faith is used to boast in front of others, it's not worth anything. FAITH even small as a mustard seed can grow to become a giant tree. As a Christian, or for any Christians, I think it's really up to how we care for that tree we planted from our faith, such as choosing the right soil, watering it consistently with the words of God, and making sure the root is deep enough to withstand any storm. Taking tender care for it and striving to bear good fruits is why it is important for us to have FAITH in God. Faith, for me, is like the root, soil, and water supply - which are the things that are essential for a plant's life flourish.

4 comments:

Jin Yoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Youth In Asia said...

Hey Grace! This was a very interesting post, I really enjoyed reading it :D
text me soon!!

African Globe Trotters. said...

Grace your frank attitude is encouraging. The metaphors and similies used really inspire one to look deeper into one's heart. Your college friend, has some very good advice - it is vital to "feed" your spirit with the things of God; so that your spirit will not wither or die but remain in Christ. Mrs.MC

Anonymous said...

hi grace!! :)
This is yulie

I really enjoyed your post; I think the root of faith is something essential. But then at the same time, I think it is hard to determine a stage a "strong root". I struggle a lot looking at myself, a weak human being, suffering from the worldly values that make me turn from Jesus and towards comfort. Every time I find myself in such situation, it makes me feel as if I'm bad, or even, not a Christian. What’s amazing is, is that God promised to forgive us as we seek for forgiveness. We never deserve it, yet He gives it to us. I think having a strong root means that we don't fall over when the wind blows. Meaning that we stand strong even though many things may lure us to turn from God, we stay still like a big green tree, and ask ourselves the golden question, what would Jesus do?

Holding on strong to this faith is what we must do, and I hope that through whatever hardship you may go through as you live on your life, you would remember the faith you shared with the classmates of TCIS! :) †♡